Keep Your Home Safe From Pests
Sometimes the pests you see may seem worse than the ones you don’t. Whether you’re pestered by disgusting cockroaches, annoying ants, spiders lurking in every corner or most any kind of troublesome pest, there are several things a homeowner can do which can help prevent pest infestations.
To help keep your home safe from pests, take these precautions:
- Seal cracks in your home’s exterior to keep pests like ants, spiders and cockroaches from getting inside.
- Be sure all doors and windows are properly sealed with tight-fitting screens and weather stripping.
- Don’t leave uncovered food sitting out. It will attract flies that will land on it and spread harmful bacteria.
- Consider storing clothing in plastic boxes or pouches to prevent fabric pests from getting to them.
- Ensure the attic and crawlspace have sufficient ventilation. Research has shown that proper ventilation creates an environment unsuitable for cockroaches and other pests. It also improves the heating and cooling efficiency of the home.
- Do not allow pet food to sit out overnight, inside or outside.
- Remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, etc., around your home. They serve as a harborage for pests, especially rodents.