When selecting Design Tech Homes as your green home builder in Houston, San Antonio or a surrounding Texas area, you will appreciate what sets us apart from other builders. We take a sensible, cost-effective approach to green home building with quality craftsmanship. Read about the Design Tech difference below and contact us to get started.
Our innovative building system, Advanced E-Structure®, uses construction components that work together to define the structural core of each Design Tech home. This innovative system ensures that each home maintains its structural integrity and efficiency.
Sensible Green Home Building
Our commitment to environmentally-friendly construction contributes toward the preservation of your family, your cenvironment, and your future. At Design Tech Homes, we have the flexibility to build a 100% green home utilizing everything from solar power to bamboo flooring—but some of these choices do not always make economic sense. So, we’ve chosen to take a more balanced, cost-effective approach that blends quality design and construction with eco-friendly products and building methods called Sensible Green Building.
Energy Efficiency of Your New Home
At Design Tech Homes, we require independent inspections to certify that your home meets the stringent requirements of the Energy Star® program. In partnership with the EPA, Design Tech Homes is committed to making a difference in the lives of homeowners through participation in the ENERGY STAR® program. In fact, every single Design Tech home is inspected and certified to not only meet, but often exceed, stringent, energy-saving requirements that help reduce energy bills, while improving the health of families, the planet and our future.The most hailed energy efficiency program in the nation, Energy Star® is a voluntary national program developed by the U.S. Department of Energy to help consumers identify a benchmark for energy efficient residential construction.
The Building Envelope
- High-Efficiency Insulation: Our blown-in fiberglass R-15 exterior walls, R-38 attic floors, and Radiant Barrier reduces summer heat gain, winter heat loss and improves energy usage. The low-E3 vinyl windows reflect away heat radiation in summer and retains heat in the winter.
- Air Conditioning & Heating Systems: R 410A refrigerant, a 15 SEER rating eco-friendly refrigerant, is an environmentally safe liquid coolant Energy Star® Thermostat, which adjusts temperature settings, saving energy while you’re away. All of our ducts are designed and properly sealed for comfort and energy efficiency.
- Appliances: Our Energy Star® qualified dishwashers use less energy than the federal minimum standard for energy consumption and less hot water than conventional models.
- High-Efficiency Hot Water Heating: We feature water heating systems in all of our homes that provide hot water and with extreme energy efficiency.
- Water Conservation: We include low-flow plumbing fixtures, including toilet, faucets and showerheads, that conserve water more efficiently when compared to conventional fixtures while providing the same utility.
- Moisture Control: In order to prevent moisture entry and to provide a means of escape for moisture that does enter the home is the goal for every Design Tech home, which is why we use Tyvek House WrapTM, a water resistive barrier material, and JetBackerTM, a moisture and mold resistant material that is integral to all tub and shower wet-wall areas.
New Home Finishes
At Design Tech Homes, we have established a plethora of partnerships with various home furnishing and accessories companies. These partnerships have allowed us create any type of exterior or interior finish you desire, ranging from siding and flooring to cabinetry and lighting. Constructing the structure of your home is a magnificent undertaking, but these custom finishing touches add the beautification every homeowner truly needs and deserves.
Through this common sense approach, we’re able to bring together the latest products and home building technologies to give you a home that fits your needs. Your new home is built in a way that conserves natural resources, uses energy wisely and produces a healthier indoor environment for your family. These important elements and our sensible way of thinking are what set us apart.
Indoor Environmental Quality (IEQ)
Providing comfort indoors means addressing several key factors: proper ventilation, limiting emissions from materials used inside the home and moisture control. At Design Tech, we believe in building a home that enhances people’s lives and gives them a sense of control over their own indoor experience.All interior home finishes are screened for the emission of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as formaldehyde and lead to ensure that your home does not produce unsafe indoor air quality. Below is a list of the products we use containing low or no VOCs:
- Flooring Adhesives
It’s essential that kitchen cooking odors and harmful airborne grease along with moisture from bathrooms are properly removed from the indoor environment. To provide for the removal of these indoor pollutants, we install exterior venting for the kitchen and all bath exhaust vents. An effective air filtration system is critical to maintaining proper indoor air quality. The system we install in your new home creates an indoor environment with less dust and fewer odors thereby helping to reduce potential health risks. Below are the key components that contribute to better indoor air quality:
- Box Media Air Cleaner
- Fresh Air Intakes
- Return Air Vents (all major areas)